All parade entries shall abide by the following:
- To receive all benefits, this application form and entry fee must be submitted in full no later than May 1st, 2017. The number of parade entries is limited and shall be reviewed in the order they are received.
- The Parade Committee will review all parade entries and reserves the right to refuse participation in the parade. All denied applications shall be returned along with any entry fees submitted. The Parade Committee decision is final.
- Applications that are accepted shall be confirmed by letter along with more detailed instructions for the day of the Parade. All parade entries must be paid in full and in compliance with the Rules & Regulations on the day of the Parade.
Parade Route, Registration, Staging, and Disbursement
- The Parade will be held on Monday, May 29, 2017 and will be conducted regardless of rain.
- Parade begins at 11:00 AM on Memorial Day. Any unit not registered and in the staging area by 10:00 AM will be excluded.
- The Registration Table is located on the northeast corner of Sherman Way and Owensmouth. Check-in begins at 8:30 AM and closes promptly at 10:00 AM.
- The parade begins at the intersection of Sherman Way and Owensmouth Ave. The parade ends at the First Baptist Church of Canoga Park at Sherman Way and Cozycroft Ave.
- All parade entries shall be given a unit identification number card. Each parade entry shall provide a Parade Marshall who will walk with the identification number on the north side of the street 10 yard ahead of their entry. The identification number allows Parade Announcers to speak knowledgeably about your entry at various points along the parade route.
- All parade entries are expected to complete the entire parade route. Parade entries shall maintain their designated position in the parade. To maintain a consistent flow the gap between entries shall be limited to no more than 20 yards.
- To maintain the parade flow, there will be absolutely no performing during the parade route. Participants may perform at pre-assigned time after the parade (Post Parade Celebration). Contact the Chamber Office for your assigned performance time.
Parade Attire, Decorations, Behavior
- All parade entries must be in costume or uniform or proper attire in the spirit of the parade theme. Parade Operations Staff shall inspect all clothing and decorations.
- Flags, colors, and music used by participants and entries represent the USA only. Parade entries not in compliance will be disqualified from judging and may be removed from the parade.
- Any parade entry consisting solely of advertising or expressed political viewpoints will be disqualified and removed from the Parade. No political groups or causes will be allowed in the Parade.
- The distribution, throwing, or handing out of any items subject but not limited to: literature; product samples, fruits, candy; gifts; etc. to spectators along the parade route is strictly prohibited.
- Public Address Systems; megaphones; or other devices to amplify sound are strictly prohibited unless used for patriotic music, parade theme, or group presentation announcements (no company solicitation) along the parade route.
General Rules & Regulations
- Floats must meet LA Fire Department Safety Code as per L.A.M.C. SEC 57.22.05
- Sponsor advertising on floats is limited to 25% of the total verbiage used on the float.
- All vehicles must comply with DMV regulations and be street legal.
- All parade entries are responsible for their own liability insurance for all person(s), vehicles(s), equipment, and other property used in the
- The Parade Committee, the Canoga Park • West Hills Chamber, and Board of Directors is not responsible for the improper statements, remarks, or false unit designations made by parade entries.
- Cars/Motorcycles/Vehicles – $125.00 up to 10 cars (additional cars $10.00 each)
- Equestrian Units – $125.00 up to 15 horses (additional horses $5.00 each)
- Floats – $100.00
- Bands and Choral Groups – $100.00
- Marching Organizations* – $100.00 up to 30 participants (additional $5.00 each). Marching Organizations are community groups that walk the parade route. These groups may perform for the spectators only during official parade stops.
*Marching Organizations are community groups that walk the parade route. These groups may perform for the spectators only during official parade stops.
Equestrian Units will be judged in an official manner based on the category selected by the entry. All other entries will be judged by community leaders. Judging is based on the best interpretation of the this year’s parade theme “Saluting the Price of Freedom”. Awards will be given in the following parade categories; Car Clubs, Vehicles, Floats, Bands and Choral Groups; Marching Organizations.